Russian Direct Ascent ASAT Test Generates More Than 1,500 Pieces of Trackable Debris
Frank Wolfe
SHARE:
U.S. Army Gen. James Dickinson, U.S. Space Command commander, and U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Mike Bernacchi, USSPACECOM Strategy, Plans and Policy director, greet Colin Kahl, Department of Defense Under Secretary of Defense for Policy on Nov. 2 at USSPACECOM headquarters, Peterson Space Force Base, Colorado. Senior USSPACECOM leaders briefed Kahl on threats to the space domain and discussed the importance of responsible military space behavior. Officials from Joint Task Force-Space Defense briefed Kahl on its protect-and-defend mission (U.S. Space Command Photo)
The test of a Russian direct ascent anti-satellite (DA-ASAT) weapon against one of that nation's non-functioning satellites generated more than 1,500 pieces of trackable debris and hundreds of thousands of smaller pieces, U.S. State Department spokesman Ned Price said on Nov. 15. If true, the ASAT test would have thrown off roughly half the debris of a 2007 Chinese DA-ASAT test that created 3,000 pieces of orbital debris larger than 10 centimeters (Defense Daily, Nov. 17, 2020). Army Gen. James…
The chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) and the two senators from Maine last week pushed back on Navy officials for only requesting one Arleigh Burke-class destroyer (DDG-51) […]
The Navy told lawmakers this week it found a dry dock at HII’s [HII] Newport News Shipbuilding shipyard it thinks can use for final assembly of the new Trump-class battleship […]
The Navy’s top leaders this week seemed to downplay and back down on the service potentially using foreign shipyards to build U.S. Navy ships or buying foreign designed warships overseas […]
The Senate’s top defense appropriators cited concern this week with the Army’s request to fund the majority of its large increase to munitions procurement in fiscal year 2027 through the […]