Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours Taking Seven WWII Veterans to Normandy for the 75th Anniversary of D-Day Commemorative Ceremonies
Seven WWII veterans, including four D-Day veterans, are in Normandy with Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours to attend the commemorative ceremonies to be held at the Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer on June 6, 2019. The company is operating twenty 75th Anniversary of D-Day Tours, taking more than 675 guests, many of whom will have the honor of being joined by one of the WWII veterans.
NEW ORLEANS, June 5, 2019
NEW ORLEANS, June 5, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ — Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours was founded by historian and author, Stephen E. Ambrose, who wrote the best-selling books D-Day: June 6, 1994, Band of Brothers, Citizens Soldiers and Pegasus Bridge. When Dr. Ambrose was alive he was able to assemble top notch speakers, including British General Bernard Montgomery; Hans von Luck, a Colonel in the German Army who was Rommel’s assistant; and Major General John Frost, whose leadership at Arnhem bridge was chronicled in the movie A Bridge Too Far.
Carrying on Dr. Ambrose’s legacy over the decades, Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours has continued to take WWII luminaries and veterans along on their tours to share their first hand experiences, including Major Richard “Dick Winters” and Easy Company veterans Buck Taylor, Darrell C. “Shifty” Powers, Don Malarkey, and Earl McClung.
“The greatest reward for all of us at Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours has been the gift of traveling with the men of Easy Company and many other veterans who so graciously shared their first-hand experiences with us,” said Dr. Edie Ambrose, historian and co-owner of Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours. “Visiting the hallowed ground where our friends sacrificed and fought, standing in these places with them so many years later, has been an honor and a privilege.”
The WWII veterans traveling with Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours on their 75th Anniversary of D-Day Tours are:
- Norwood Thomas, Paratrooper, 101st Airborne Division, who landed in the field at La Fiere Bridge just south of Sainte-Mère-Église in Normandy on D-Day.
- David Hamilton, Pilot, Army Air Force, who dropped pathfinder paratroopers into Normandy on D-Day 6 June 1944.
- Willard “Bud” LaCounte, PFC, 118th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion, Battery A, who landed on Omaha Beach the day after D-Day, June 7, 2019.
- George Cross, Paratrooper, 82nd Airborne, 505 PIR, C Company, who parachuted into Normandy 18 miles inside enemy lines on D-Day.
- Dr. Stephen J. Weiss, Infantry Rifle Squad, who fought in Italy and then Southern France, and then served with the French Resistance and an OSS Operational Group behind enemy lines.
- William “Bill” Kimble, Merchant Marines, whose brother Dennis F. Kimble served as a Rudder’s Ranger during the war and was killed in action on D-Day at Point du Hoc.
- Edward Dymon, who was a 1st Mate with the Merchant Marines.
As the company has always done, Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours is covering the tour expenses for the veterans and their companions traveling with them (except for Dave Hamilton who is traveling on the Commemorative Air Force 75th Anniversary of D-Day Tour courtesy of the Commemorative Air Force).
About Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours
Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours is the product of 35 years of experience on the path of World War II and American history. They have brought thousands of guests, often with veterans, to the battlefields of the Normandy beaches, Operation Market Garden, the Battle of the Bulge, Iwo Jima and others sacred sites to honor the men who fought for freedom on their World War II tours.
Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours offers something that other companies just don’t. They offer an expertise that was perfected by Stephen Ambrose and then directly handed to a next generation of historians. As it was in the 1970s when Dr. Ambrose was leading the D-Day to the Rhine Tour, the company’s first tour, Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours has only the most qualified historians lead their historical and WWII tours. They are experts in their field and world-renowned authors. Their extensive research and interviews with thousands of WWII and D-Day veterans on the very battlefields where they fought gives a soldier’s perspective to their tours.
SOURCE Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours