Search

Air Force Cuts 100 Years of ‘Unnecessary Schedule’ from Existing Programs, Completes ‘Century Challenge’

Air Force Cuts 100 Years of ‘Unnecessary Schedule’ from Existing Programs, Completes ‘Century Challenge’
Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson, fourth from left, stands with program managers whose efforts' schedule times were reduced as a result of the service's "Century Challenge." Photo: Air Force

The Air Force has succeeded in its yearlong goal of cutting at least 100 years of planned schedule time from its existing weapons development programs, the service said May 23. The “Century Challenge” was launched in May 2018 as one of the Air Force’s many efforts to streamline acquisition processes and get capabilities to the warfighter more quickly. The service cut 100.25 years off of expected timelines since the launch date, Secretary Heather Wilson said Thursday at an event on…

Subscriber-only content. Please log in below.

Not a subscriber or registered user yet?

Please contact us at clientservices@accessintel.com or call us at 888-707-5814 (Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. and Friday 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET.), to start a free trial, get pricing information, order a reprint, or post an article link on your website.



Congress Updates

Appropriators Press For Details On Iran War Costs; DoD’s $29B Estimate Doesn’t Include Base Damage

The Pentagon estimates the U.S.’ ongoing conflict with Iran has now cost at least $29 billion, while a lead official noted the updated figure does not factor in damage to […]


Appropriators Offer Skepticism On $350B Defense Reconciliation Plan, ‘Big Risk’ For Key Initiatives

Senate and House Appropriators told Pentagon leadership on Tuesday they’re skeptical of the department’s plan to fund $350 billion of the fiscal year 2027 defense budget through the reconciliation process, […]


All Future Systems Should Have Autonomy Features, Reed Says

Last week, Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.) visited North Kingstown, R.I.-based Senesco, which is teaming with autonomous systems company Havoc to bid on the U.S. Navy’s Medium Unmanned Surface Vessel program. […]


Senate Appropriators Concerned With DoD’s Reconciliation Plan For Top FY ‘27 Priorities, Aide Says

Senate defense appropriators have concerns with the Pentagon’s decision to include key fiscal year 2027 funding priorities, such as critical munitions and drones production, among its request for $350 billion […]