Search

U.S. Space Force Looks to Range of the Future 2028 Initiative

U.S. Space Force Looks to Range of the Future 2028 Initiative
The Orbital Sciences Corporation Antares rocket, with the Cygnus spacecraft onboard suffered a catastrophic anomaly moments after launch from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport on Oct. 28, 2014, at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia. The Cygnus spacecraft was filled with about 5,000 pounds of supplies slated for the International Space Station, including science experiments, experiment hardware, spare parts, and crew provisions. A Range Safety Officer (RSO) was able to engage the flight termination system before impact. By 2030, launches are to transition to autonomous command-destruct solutions (NASA Photo)

Five weeks before the establishment of the U.S. Space Force on Dec. 20 last year, Gen. John "Jay" Raymond wrote a memorandum to DoD and space industry officials laying out a Range of the Future 2028 initiative to move to all-autonomous launches by the start of fiscal 2026. Raymond was then the commander of U.S. Space Command and Air Force Space Command (AFSPC) and would soon become the first chief of space operations for the sixth military service. "AFSPC launch…

Subscriber-only content. Please log in below.

Not a subscriber or registered user yet?

Please contact us at clientservices@accessintel.com or call us at 888-707-5814 (Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. and Friday 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET.), to start a free trial, get pricing information, order a reprint, or post an article link on your website.



Congress Updates

Lawmakers Request DoD Briefing On Army’s Planned Cuts To Aviation Procurement

A bipartisan group of House lawmakers has sent a letter asking the Pentagon for a briefing on the potential industrial base impacts as a result of the Army’s planned cuts […]


CENTCOM Looking To Lessons Learned From Use Of LUCAS Drones

U.S Central Command (CENTCOM) is looking to lessons learned from its use of Low-cost Unmanned Combat Attack System (LUCAS) drones by Phoenix-based SpektreWorks, according to CENTCOM head Adm. Brad Cooper. […]


Hegseth Says DoD Open To Reviewing Army’s Planned Cuts To Legacy Helicopter Procurement

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has told lawmakers the Pentagon is open to reviewing the Army’s planned procurement cuts to its legacy manned aviation fleet. Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), ranking member […]


Appropriators Press For Details On Iran War Costs; DoD’s $29B Estimate Doesn’t Include Base Damage

The Pentagon estimates the U.S.’ ongoing conflict with Iran has now cost at least $29 billion, while a lead official noted the updated figure does not factor in damage to […]