The Navy has awarded Raytheon [RTN] a $36.7 million deal for Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) guided missile launch systems, which will include sales to Japan, the Pentagon said Friday.

The deal for RAM Mk 49 Mod 3 Guided Missile Launching Systems (GMLS) covers assemble, test and delivery of the weapon systems.

The USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) fires a Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) during a military exercise on June 14, 2015. Photo: U.S. Navy.

Pentagon officials said 91 percent of the purchases under the contract will be for the U.S. Navy, while the remaining 9 percent will go to Japan.

Deliveries under the deal are expected to be completed by June 2021. 

Raytheon’s RAM surface-to-air missile is co-developed under a joint U.S. and German production program, and is designed to  provide anti-ship missile defense for multiple ship platforms.

The Navy recently finished a series of guided flight tests for the RAM Block 2A missile, which features a software upgrade that “enhances guidance and the missile’s capability to defeat threats,” according to Raytheon officials (Defense Daily, June 19). 

Last October, Raytheon delivered a RAM missile launcher to Mexico, which became the first Latin American country to operate the weapon system (Defense Daily, Oct. 23 2018).