Search

Weekly Roundup: Jan. 19-25 (feat. MUOS launch, F-35 data leak)

Weekly Roundup: Jan. 19-25 (feat. MUOS launch, F-35 data leak)

virtualanalystweeklyroundupHere are the programs that made the biggest news over the past week:

Third MUOS satellite reaches orbit — The Navy has launched the third satellite out of five that will make up the Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) constellation, replacing aging satellites with 10 times greater communications capacity, we reported. The satellite was launched aboard an Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral early last week, and was maneuvered into its planned orbit at 22,000 miles above the Earth’s surface over the next few days. Soon, radios and ground systems will be able to tap into the satellite after testing is completed. Read more MUOS analysis >>>

DOD: No F-35 data breach — The Pentagon insists that allegations by NSA whistelblower Edward Snowden that the Chinese had obtained classified data on the F-35 was overblown, according to a Reuters report. The F-35 program office said that reports that China had stolen “many terabytes” of data on the F-35 was a rehashed story from 2010 that had been previously disclosed, and only non-classified data had been involved. China also denied accessing any classified data on the fighter. Read more F-35 analysis >>>

Too many Reapers, says IG — The Air Force has failed to justify $8.8 billion it has spent on MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aircraft — at least that’s what the Defense Department’s Inspector General is saying in a report that was leaked to the press, the Guardian reported. So far, the Pentagon has purchased 401 Reapers, but officials have been unable to provide convincing evidence that the aircraft were needed, the report states. Ultimately, the report may not mean much, because Congress definitely hasn’t had a problem with the Reaper buys — in fact, the Pentagon tried to cut purchases in half in the fiscal 2015 budget, but both authorizers and appropriators restored the 12 aircraft in their final bills. Read more MQ-9 analysis >>>

New C-130s to cruise into Japan — The pivot to the Asia-Pacific region continues for the Pentagon, and the C-130 Hercules is the latest platform to increase its presence in the area. Stars and Stripes reported that the newest version of hte C-130 will be coming to Japan to assist in disaster relief and other missions in the Pacific. Yokota Air Base will be changing out its H-models for the newer J-models, which will have more capacity, power, and range. Read more C-130 analysis >>>



Congress Updates

Navy Looks To Eventually Assemble Battleship At HII Newport News; Faces More Dem Opposition

The Navy told lawmakers this week it found a dry dock at HII’s [HII] Newport News Shipbuilding shipyard it thinks can use for final assembly of the new Trump-class battleship […]


Navy Leaders Downplay Looking At Foreign Navy Shipbuilding Amid Lawmaker Objections

The Navy’s top leaders this week seemed to downplay and back down on the service potentially using foreign shipyards to build U.S. Navy ships or buying foreign designed warships overseas […]


Senate Defense Appropriators See ‘Risk’ With Army’s Reconciliation Plan To Fund Munitions Increase

The Senate’s top defense appropriators cited concern this week with the Army’s request to fund the majority of its large increase to munitions procurement in fiscal year 2027 through the […]


Army Relooking At Its ‘Whole Aviation Transformation’ Plan, Acting Chief Tells Lawmakers

The Army is relooking at its “whole aviation transformation initiative,” the service’s acting chief of staff told lawmakers on Tuesday, to include its approach for future procurement of “enduring” platforms. […]