Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said last Friday industry has to do more to control costs with weapon systems when he formally announced work on an F-35 Joint Strike Fighter variant will no longer be on hold. Panetta visited Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., to publicly state he was removing the Marine Corps’ F-35B short-takeoff and vertical-landing (STOVL) aircraft off a probation former Defense Secretary Robert Gates initiated last year. The probationary period was intended to last two years and either allow…
Recommended
Trending
Congress Updates
Navy Looks To Eventually Assemble Battleship At HII Newport News; Faces More Dem Opposition
The Navy told lawmakers this week it found a dry dock at HII’s [HII] Newport News Shipbuilding shipyard it thinks can use for final assembly of the new Trump-class battleship […]
Navy Leaders Downplay Looking At Foreign Navy Shipbuilding Amid Lawmaker Objections
The Navy’s top leaders this week seemed to downplay and back down on the service potentially using foreign shipyards to build U.S. Navy ships or buying foreign designed warships overseas […]
Senate Defense Appropriators See ‘Risk’ With Army’s Reconciliation Plan To Fund Munitions Increase
The Senate’s top defense appropriators cited concern this week with the Army’s request to fund the majority of its large increase to munitions procurement in fiscal year 2027 through the […]
Army Relooking At Its ‘Whole Aviation Transformation’ Plan, Acting Chief Tells Lawmakers
The Army is relooking at its “whole aviation transformation initiative,” the service’s acting chief of staff told lawmakers on Tuesday, to include its approach for future procurement of “enduring” platforms. […]