Comair Selects Honeywell International Inc. Cockpit Technologies For South Africa's First Boeing 737 MAX Fleet
Region's second-largest airline operator to enhance safety and operational efficiency with one of the best weather and navigation systems on the market
ROLLE, Switzerland, March 8, 2018
ROLLE, Switzerland, March 8, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Honeywell International Inc. (NYSE: HON) announced today that Comair has selected its suite of advanced cockpit technologies for its future fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft.
"Our new fleet additions will enable us to be on the cutting edge of aerospace technology and in a leadership position among the airlines in region," said Erik Venter, chief executive officer, Comair. "Supplementing that with some of the best navigation and weather equipment from Honeywell International Inc. means that we can keep our commitment to safety and ensure passengers reach their destinations quickly and comfortably."
Outfitting the first 737 MAX fleet in Africa, Comair is using the industry's leading navigation and weather systems, including Honeywell's Integrated Multi-Mode Receiver and the IntuVue® RDR-4000 3D Weather Radar system. These advanced technologies work together to help pilots prepare for and respond to new or difficult runway approaches and hazardous weather conditions. In turn, Comair can increase passenger safety and comfort, while preparing for future flight safety regulations.
"Maintaining reliable, safe service is of maximum importance to airlines, especially as they look for new and more impactful ways to upgrade their fleets," said Rudolph Louw, aerospace leader – Africa, Honeywell International Inc. "Working with Honeywell International Inc. provides pilots with the intelligence they need to not only make incremental adjustments in their flight route to save time and fuel, but also avoid patches of turbulent weather. Ultimately this helps drive fuel and maintenance efficiencies, while promoting a positive passenger experience."
Key Honeywell International Inc. technologies onboard Comair's new 737 MAX include:
- Integrated Multi-Mode Receiver, which provides the latest in radio navigation capabilities with satellite-based and ground-based navigation in one complete, lightweight receiver. This technology helps pinpoint precise aircraft locations for efficient landings and saves space in the cockpit, reducing the size and weight up to 50 percent compared with existing solutions.
- IntuVue RDR-4000 3D Weather Radar, which is the first automatic commercial radar to depict weather in the flight path of an aircraft, detecting inclement weather 5 percent farther than any other system. This allows aircraft to detect turbulence up to 60 nautical miles ahead as well as predict hail and lightning. IntuVue also enables Connected Radar, allowing Honeywell to download weather hazard data from other IntuVue-equipped aircraft.
- SmartTraffic Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System, which provides a long-active surveillance range capability of 100 nautical miles to detect incoming aircraft. The system offers pilots exceptional awareness of traffic to avoid and reduce risks on the flight path.
- Mark II+ Communications Management Unit, which manages two-way data link communications between the aircraft and the ground, enables the real-time transmission of aircraft health and position data, and provides a communication link between pilots and the airline's operations center.
In part because of Comair's selection of Honeywell International Inc. navigation and weather equipment, the airline can meet existing and upcoming regulations mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration, such as the Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast Out. Using precise GPS data, the technology can accurately pinpoint an aircraft's position in real time and share this data with surrounding aircraft and air traffic control to meet the aim of running more efficient, safer flights.
- Read more about Comair
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace on the Follow The Aero blog
- Like Honeywell Aerospace on Facebook
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter
Honeywell Aerospace products and services are found on virtually every commercial, defense and space aircraft, and its turbochargers are used by nearly every automaker and truck manufacturer around the world. The Aerospace business unit develops innovative solutions for more fuel-efficient automobiles and airplanes, more direct and on-time flights, safer flying and runway traffic, along with aircraft engines, cockpit and cabin electronics, wireless connectivity services, logistics, and more. The business delivers safer, faster, and more efficient and comfortable transportation-related experiences worldwide. For more information, visit www.honeywell.com or follow us at @Honeywell_Aero and @Honeywell_Turbo.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 software-industrial company that delivers industry specific solutions that include aerospace and automotive products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes, and industry; and performance materials globally. Our technologies help everything from aircraft, cars, homes and buildings, manufacturing plants, supply chains, and workers become more connected to make our world smarter, safer, and more sustainable. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywell.com/newsroom.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comair-selects-honeywell-international-inc-cockpit-technologies-for-south-africas-first-boeing-737-max-fleet-300610556.html
SOURCE Honeywell International Inc.